Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Camera Advice

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Eumig2005's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 7th, 2005
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    I am a TV Producer from Ireland and I'm looking to buy a Super 8mm camera to shoot some VT Inserts for sports programming and I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction?? I'm looking for something with Slo Mo capabilities, a Wide Angle lens adapter and something with a pretty nice lens, 48mm to 70mm(if something like that exists??)

    I've been looking at a Eumig 860 PMA, which has some of what I'm looking for. What would your view be on this?? Any other cameras you would recommend??

    Also, with the K40 stock now defunct, what stocks are available to the Super 8mm filmmaker? I see the Kodak have Vision2 stock for Super 8mm cameras now, is there any compatability issues with this stock and old Super 8mm cameras??


    Looking forward to hearing from you.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member oldasdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2003
    Posts
    362
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have never used any of the Eumig cameras so I cannot speak on them.I shot with a Canon 1014 for years and it had a great lens,7-70 if memory serves,single frame,dissolves and instant slo mo (54 fps).54 fps is about top speed for super 8,any faster and there is risk of cart jam.For the other super 8 formats,you may consider double super 8,like the Bolex conversion,100 foot load means longer filming time,less missed action for sports and a steadier image because there's a real pressure plate.There is also the Canon Scoopic DS8 and Pathe.All of them have 64fps slo mo and all of them are converted 16mm cameras.There is also single 8 cameras and if slo mo is your thing the Fujica ZC 1000 can do 70fps.Rock steady too,because the single 8 cart is designed like an audio cassette and the pressure plate is in the camera,NOT the cartridge.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member etimh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 16th, 2005
    Posts
    71
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by oldasdirt:
    There is also single 8 cameras and if slo mo is your thing the Fujica ZC 1000 can do 70fps.Rock steady too,because the single 8 cart is designed like an audio cassette and the pressure plate is in the camera,NOT the cartridge.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">oldasdirt: what exactly is the situation with getting single 8 carts? Where can you buy them and where do you send them for processing?

    Tim

  4. #4
    Inactive Member oldasdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2003
    Posts
    362
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My understanding is that you order them from Japan.If you look on 8mm filmshooting,there is a link to a single 8 site,or you can just google "single 8" and I think you'll find where such can be had.There are two color reversal stocks to choose from in single 8.An ASA 25 for daylight and an ASA 200 for tungsten.There's also a black and white stock called Retro X.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •